Thursday, February 11, 2016

Book Study Wednesday : Chapter 6 Calendar & Data Routines





I apologize for the tardy post.  This week really caught up with me and then ran me right over and kept going!  Anyone else know what I'm talking about?  Well, let's get on with it anyhow!  Welcome back!
 
Chapter 6 was pretty brief in comparison to the previous chapters  Basically it was broken down into calendar and data.  Both types of routines, as with all the previous routines in this book, encourage math chatter among students and that is my favorite part.  Many educators are afraid of math talk and I can tell you from experience that talking is the most valuable part of learning.  How many times a day do I bounce ideas off of a co-worker or friend?  Constantly!!  I think out loud all the time as a way of problem-solving and making observations.  And so do students.

Talking about math during number sense routines gives students the opportunity to converse in a way that many may not be used to in the home.  Working in a Title I school, many students do not have the vocabulary and background knowledge that their same age peers do. Discussing ideas in class is life ring for those who are struggling.  These little number sense routines are social opportunities to bridge the learning gaps!

Click here for a little freebie! Some great discussion task cards for 1st and 2nd and easily modified for Kindergarten.
 
Discussion Questions:


Q1 - How is your calendar routine different from the way Shumway presented it in Chapter 6?  How is it the same?

Q2 - What mathematical concepts are you currently focused on and how are the number sense routines supporting them?

5 comments:

  1. Before I answer those questions I just have to say I watched some math talk in action today and was pleasantly surprised. We were talking about the number 47. I showed them that 47 was 40 and 7 (which is a little of a review for them right now) I asked them to discuss with their table groups why is it you don't see the 40 but just the 4. Some responses were "The 7 covers it up" and others similar to that. I overheard one boy in particular who doesn't usually participate say "because the 4 is really 4 tens which is 40". Of course we shared ideas as a class and I made sure to call on him and show him that his explanation of it was great. Anywho, just had to share..

    Q1 - How is your calendar routine different from the way Shumway presented it in Chapter 6? How is it the same? I'll admit, calendar routine is a lot quicker and to the point in my room. We discuss the month, day, and year. This usually happens when we are graphing our sprint results. On their graph they have to write the date and they write the shorthand version (2/16/16) and it is then we talk about what those numbers represent. We don't really talk about weather so much and I would like to get better about counting the days of school and tying it into place value. I REALLY loved the idea of taking down the calendar at the end of each month as a class by asking the kids questions to remove the numbers!!

    Q2 - What mathematical concepts are you currently focused on and how are the number sense routines supporting them? We are currently working on place value and definitely counting the days of school would help them bundle the ones to make a ten. Also, since the date is a real life tool you use daily they are being exposed to that everyday when they are not only writing it, but understanding what it means. Every now and then I throw in a review of days of the week or months of the year. When we talk about what day it is, I might also say, "What day was it yesterday?" or "What day will it be tomorrow"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exciting news to see your math talks in action. All it takes is one kid to spark an understanding for the rest of the class! I hope you keep us posted on upcoming conversations!

      Delete
    2. Carrie, I would love to come to your school and see some of your teachers classrooms that are using the ideas we are learning about in their rooms!

      Delete
  2. #1. I don't do calendar routine, but in a 1st grade class I have been in lately, They discuss the month, day, year, and what the weather is like outside. They usually sing a catchy sound about the days of the week too! I like the weather graph that the students track each month.

    #2. 2nd grade is currently working on time and money. Number sense routines can support money by using the 100 chart to help see 10's 1 more or less, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin you are more than welcome! Come any time!

    ReplyDelete