Sunday, October 4, 2015

Book Study Friday: Guided Math - A Framework for Mathematics Instruction

 
Join us this Friday for another great book study!  We'll be posting online about Guided Math strategies that we find in:
 
Each week we'll discuss strategies we'd like to try from various chapters.  I'm going to post discussion questions and little challenges for you to try in your own classrooms.  These will coincide with the chapters we read.  If you're from my school, we'll be meeting in person from time to time.  For those of you joining us from elsewhere on the web, please feel free to jump in to the conversation by posting your thoughts in the comments.   

We're going to begin with Chapter 8 (assessment).  I always want to know what my students are going to be expected to accomplish before I begin designing lessons.  I liken it to taking a road trip.  Once you decide on the destination, you can begin planning your route. Our district has really been pushing Backwards Design this year so I'm going to keep that theme going here.  Below you'll find your first challenge. 

Week 1 Challenge: 
Read Chapter 8.
Then think of a mathematical skill or concept that you will be teaching soon.  Then devise a rubric or checklist that will help you keep track of student learning.  Save this rubric or checklist to use as you implement your skill. 

Post your assessment tools below in the comment section. 

3 comments:

  1. For my first graders, I would use something simply like a checklist. We have been working a lot on story problems and all the different steps they entail. My checklist would look like this:
    - Did you make a number bond?
    - Did you make a drawing/picture?
    - Did you make your number sentences (addition and subtraction)?
    - Did you write a statement to answer the question?
    - Are your computations correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that at that age, a check list like that is a great reminder for all the representations they are supposed to show. Now, do you have them show you one thing at a time or do you require them to show all of those items each time they work on a problem?

      Delete
    2. At the beginning when introducing each representation I would have them show one at a time. Then we would put it together with all the representations. We are at the point now I am having them show them all the items each time.

      Delete