Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Book Study Wednesday - Chapter 3 Visual Routines

Being that I am a visual learner, I like to see how things are done prior to trying them out myself.  Thanks to the leaps and bounds technology has made in the last few years, I can do just that.  So this week I've put together a collection of videos that demonstrate most of the routines we read about in Chapter 3.  Discuss away!

Quick Images (Using Dot configurations)
http://yhoo.it/20dDQsh

Shumway mentions Van de Walle's book, Elementary and Middle School Mathematics, on page 52.  After Googling his name, I found this video slide show and it moves pretty quickly through a series of dot configurations. There are plenty more where that came from! My first thoughts were of fluency, after the students know the routine well, and perhaps even for individual or small group choral practice. It's a great example of how a Quick Image routine can be used for enrichment as well. 
 
Quick Images (Using Ten Frames)
https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/visualizing-number-combinations

I must admit that my favorite part of this video clip was how the teacher reacted to the student who called out his insight.  When she changed her board around, he noticed that she did not add or subtract magnets so it must still be eight.  I love her reaction and must remember to do the same the next time I am in a kindergarten classroom.  

Rekenrek Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEKOb7tWEY

There has been much discussion surrounding rekenreks recently since the majority of us haven't personally used them.  This is a great (and brief) demo of the math concepts rekenreks can reinforce. 

I noticed in a few other videos I browsed that the teacher was allowing the students to sketch what was seen on a white board or paper.  Then the students were given a second quick look to double check.  The idea of double checking their thinking appealed to me because as teachers, we're always trying to do that and this was an easy way to work that into a classroom routine.  

The other observation I made both during the reading of the chapter and watching the videos was the amount of time the students were allowed to discuss their observations.  This cannot be overstated.  Children must, must, must have a chance to discuss their ideas and learn how to listen to someone else's ideas well.  It takes time and practice but I know adults who are still learning how to listen so....

Discussion Questions:
Q1  What have your considered adding to your classroom to give your students that much needed "multiple exposures" component?

Q2  What have you already started in your classroom to build number sense?

7 comments:

  1. Q1 - I liked Shumway's ideas about providing kids with Quick Images in different formats (ten frames, dot configurations, other shapes, scattered dots, etc.) in order to start them on that path about THINKING about math instead of only seeing it one way and therefore being blindsided when a task looks different. Preparing learners that was was such a small step with a huge impact for later on down the road.
    Q2 - Quick Images is something I did in the past without understanding the full power of what they were and how they supported early numeracy. I also didn't realize that they should be designed. I was choosing things out of a book and just doing them. Now I'm planning them with a specific purpose in mind. I'm excited about the growth I know I'm going to see.

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great videos! Thanks for sharing those! I want to pass them on to my team. We're exploring rekenreks ourselves.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q1 What have your considered adding to your classroom to give your students that much needed "multiple exposures" component?
    I have used quick images earlier in the year. I would like to bring it back and use it in multiple forms (dot cards, dominoes, dice, ten frames, etc). I might do this as a quick warm up for the class, but in small group use more intensely for my struggling math students. I also really liked how the book showed relating the ten frame filled to a ten stick. This might help those students who are not able to grasp that concept we are currently working on.

    Q2 What have you already started in your classroom to build number sense?
    I have used dot cards earlier in the year to build number sense for quick images. I agree with Sasha above and I didn't understand the power of what they were and how important they are to number sense. I would like to incorporate a warm up number sense routine at the beginning of every lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q1 What have your considered adding to your classroom to give your students that much needed "multiple exposures" component?
    I do use fluency cards in my class (kindergarten). I begin the year with numerals and fingers (to 5),adding in ten frames and subitizing dots (these later include, numbers/quantities to 10, then teens). I just starting adding in "base 10" fluency cards. At this point I am still explaining the "this is a tower of ten, and these are some extra ones" and the kids are telling me how many (ie, 14) and telling me why (it is a tower of 10 and 4 more ones).

    Q2 What have you already started in your classroom to build number sense?
    In addition to the fluency cards I am very excited to start the counting circle TOMORROW!!! I'll have to give you an update in a few days to let you know how its going :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did the fluency cards go? I worked with a first grader yesterday with subitizing cards 1-5. It really threw him off when I showed him a card with five dots but they weren't in a dice or domino configuration. Will have to start varying the arrangements more often!

      Delete
    2. Carrie, I want to try to subitizing with 1st graders as well!

      Delete
  5. #1. I would like to try quick images, but using different formats. I have used quick images before, but with just numbers. Would be interesting to see how kids handle seeing it in a variety of different ways. (dots, ten frame, dominoes, etc).

    #2 I went into a Kindergarten classroom and modeled counting circle. It took a little bit for the kids to get the hang of it, but they asked the teacher the next day to do it with them. So far, the teacher and I have been doing it for a week and we are seeing great results!

    ReplyDelete