Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Book Study Wednesday - Number Sense Routines (Ch. 2)

Today I had the pleasure of working in two 1st grade classrooms.  I always love working in first grade because those 6 year old kids love having a guest in the room and it makes me feel like a celebrity!  If you're ever having a down day, go visit first grade.

Last week during our face to face meeting, we decided to write about one student and identify where in the Number Sense trajectory he/she might be.  The following is my description.

Nevaeh
I was in working with a small group on "Ways to Make a Number" (page 83).  I asked the students to think of all the possible ways to make the number 14.  I gave them white boards, markers, and two minutes.  One child wrote a whole fact family that included 10, 4, and 14. Another student simply wrote '14' and Nevaeh's board was left blank.  I realized that the students were in very different places.  I dismissed the student who wrote the fact family so I could focus on the the students who seemed to be having the most trouble and I dove in with an example.  I wrote, "10 + 4 = 14".  I also drew a ten frame to support this number sentence.  The little guys just seemed stuck and I noticed that each time we drew a picture, Nevaeh was counting every single dot one at a time.  I decided to stop the routine because even with the scaffolded support of ten frames, Nevaeh was still having trouble.  I decided to dismiss the other child and do some more probing with her to find out just where she might be in the Number Sense Trajectory (page 9).  
I started by drawing a ten frame and filled it with 10 dots.  I asked her to tell me how many.  She correctly counted them one by one until she reached 10.  I erased one and asked her to identify the new number and instead of simply counting back from 10 one time, she started counting one by one again.  I kept probing until I found that she could correctly subitize numbers up to 6.  Once I showed her a number larger than 6, she began counting one by one.  

Discussion Questions:
Q1 - What type of subitizing was Nevaeh demonstrating?  

Q2 - Thinking about the next step, what routine would you use with Neveah next?

4 comments:

  1. In the learning trajectory I would place Nevaeh in perceptual subitizing. From your description, it seems like she can see smaller numbers but she isn't seeing two smaller numbers and putting them together automatically (conceptual subitizing). She would probably benefit from a routine of Quick Images to grow that concept. I would be interested to know more about her level of magnitude and whether she was having trouble with other areas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q1- She is showing perceptual subitizing. She is able to count and recognize amounts, but doesn't see the patterns or groups.

    Q2- I would use quick images with her to help build her conceptual subitizing skills. I would show her in dots, dominoes, ten frames, and dots so she has multiple ways to experience those numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy I forgot about using dominoes. I like that idea for Nevaeh.

      Delete
  3. Chapter 2
    #1. I think Nevaeh is demonstrating perceptual subitizing. She is able to recognize smaller numbers and see their relation but when it comes to larger numbers she has to check herself.
    #2. I would use manipulatives and have her play with them grouping them and showing them in a ten frame. I think the more groups and ways of counting would benefit her.

    ReplyDelete